A Full Apartment Remodel In Clayton
The renovation of this stylish high-rise apartment in Clayton required some reimagining and careful planning, but homeowner Bob Glatz couldn’t be happier with the result. To complete the six-month full apartment remodel, Aptitude owner Matt Mierek worked with his team to remove several walls, adjust ceiling heights, add new wiring, install LED lights and refinish the floors.
As you can see by the dramatic before-and-after photos, the new look has a modern yet cozy feel, perfect for sophisticated city living. Keep reading to hear directly from Bob about what it’s like to work with us.
How did you originally hear about Aptitude?
When I decided I wanted to update the apartment, I started with a designer and cabinet specialist. I asked about contractors and let them know I needed someone who could do a really efficient, detailed job, and they recommended Aptitude. The designer had put together a beautiful layout for the new space, but we still had some unanswered questions: Would it really be possible to adjust the ceiling height? How could we create the changes I wanted alongside the other units? Would we need to update the electrical wiring and plumbing? We needed a really strong contractor to pull it off.
What made you decide to entrust Aptitude with this project?
I’d say Matt’s attention to detail—and he’s very easy to work with. After he came out to have a look at the apartment, he came back to me with a very detailed plan, pages upon pages, about how we could make each element of the designer’s vision a reality. I’m so glad I followed through and went forward with Aptitude. They did a terrific job. I’m very happy with the process, the quality of the work, the attention to detail and how well they communicated with me. He was very thorough and kept me up to date on changes that needed to be made as we went along and the cost. They really made it a priority to keep me aware of what was going on. I would enthusiastically recommend them to anyone in need of a contractor.
What were some challenges you all faced during the process, and how did you tackle them?
There were a few, definitely: First off, being in a multi-unit building, we had some wiring challenges that wouldn’t have looked very good if left unaddressed. Because the walls are concrete instead of drywall, we had to run the wiring over the ceiling and drop it behind walls that had been extended, bringing power to the right places. Getting that right was a big deal. Raising the ceiling in the bathroom was also part of the plan and made for a real challenge. We had to go into one of the adjoining units and cut a hole in the wall to make that work. The floor also wasn’t level when construction began, so Matt used a self-leveling epoxy and then laid in the flooring on top. It was definitely a process and a number of issues came up, as they do during any project. But I knew that I was in very capable hands.